This season Nikita is proud to introduce our largest selection of sustainable and mindfully produced streetwear yet. Beginning two years ago with Blue-Sign approved recycled Thermore® Eco Down in our winter jackets and outerwear, we have expanded our sustainable selection of products to include Organic Cotton Hoodies and Tees, and made our jackets using Recycled Polyester in this newest collection.
We know we can never be perfect, but we also know that every effort to protect this planet we’re all on makes a difference. We at Nikita are proud to be continuing our ever-going journey towards sustainable practices and hope you enjoy our most sustainable collection yet. Look for the green Nikita N-Star to easily pick out our sustainable and mindful products in our spring collection.
“The key to ultimate sustainability is closed loops. Whatever you make does not go to the landfill. Even if it gets recycled a few times, the goal is to be able to take the raw materials and reuse them so you’re reducing so much of the resources to get that original raw material. If it’s 45% recycled materials, it means you’re not using that 45% of the resources it took to raise that original cotton. Granted there’s process in making the fabric recycled, but overall it’s a lower impact material. That’s something that streetwear can really jump on if they get into it.” -Molly Girard, Nikita SS20 Guest Designer
FAST FACTS ON ORGANIC COTTON ACCORDING TO THE SOIL ASSOCIATION:
- Switching to organic cotton production could reduce the global warming impact of cotton production overall by 46% compared to non-organic cotton.
- The energy saved in that period could have kept a 60-watt light bulb going for over 57,000 years.
- The reduction in greenhouse gas emissions was the equivalent of driving a car around the world over 14,000 times.
A TEXTILE EXCHANGE LIFE CYCLE ANALYSIS, COMPARING ORGANIC COTTON TO CONVENTIONAL COTTON PRODUCTION, INDICATED THAT WITH ORGANIC COTTON THERE IS:
- 46% reduced global warming potential
- 70% less acidification potential
- 26% reduced eutrophication (soil erosion) potential
- 62% reduced primary energy demand
Check out our spring collection and look out for the green N-Star!